Bus-Project in China
The modern transit bus network in Zhengzhou includes 100 kilometres of separate bus lanes, a smart ticketing system and effective customer information systems. The project incentivises switching to public transportation in a region with prevailing air pollution and traffic jams due to fast growing individual motorised transportation.
Project standard: UNO-Standards CDM (Clean Development Mechanism)
«BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) Zhengzhou» is a modern bus-based transportation system. In Zhengzhou, capital of the province Henan with a population of 3.5 million, private motorised transportation is growing fast (+40% per year) like in many other Chinese cities. This climate protection project includes four separate bus lanes along the main traffic axes including linkage to the existing public transportation system. The buses in service comply with the EURO IV and V standards and are mainly based on diesel, CNG and LNG fuels.
With more than 3'000 hybrid and more than 100 battery-operated electric buses, the project features the world’s largest eco-friendly bus fleet.
«BRT Zhengzhou» consists of the following three attributes:
- Implementation of new infrastructure with separate bus lanes and an increased number of bus stations along the main traffic axes including a pre-boarding ticketing system with wheel wrenches and automated bus fare deduction.
- Centralised fleet controls along the main traffic axes in order to supervise bus rides and capacity.
- Supply lines onto all BRT lines – the BRT system is fully integrated into the city’s public transportation system.
CO2 savings are achieved by improving resource efficiency in the urban area of Zhengzhou.
CO2 emissions are reduced significantly in comparison with the «baseline» (situation without project). Five factors are relevant:
- Improved efficiency: new buses for greater passenger capacity
- New technologies: most buses are hybrid or electric buses.
- «Mode Switching»: Increased utilisation by higher overall benefit of the system (speed, reliability, safety, modern buses)
- Great linkage of the highly efficient BRT system along the main traffic axes to the already existing public transportation system
- Centralised supervision which allows for efficient bus rides allocation: higher load factor, more effective traffic.
Social and economic benefits
- Time savings: The reduced time spent in traffic jams and the shortened commuting time increase both comfort and life quality.
- Health: Less diseases thanks to improved air quality. Sensitive population members like children and elder people benefit in particular.
- Safety: Accidents per transported passenger is reduced significantly through the BRT system.
- Business: Predominantly macroeconomic benefits. Through the beneficial system, Zhengzhou increases its competitiveness as an attractive, modern city.
- Environmental benefit of bus project is high. Local air pollution is reduced.
- Other air pollutants like fine dust, NOx and SO2 are reduced additionally, impact on regional and global level is positive.
- Traffic noise effects are reduced. These effects are enhanced by more effective traffic (less «stop-and-go») and the modern bus fleet.